One of my goals or resolutions for this year is to learn about God and His Word daily. My thought process is if I can spend a daily average of 4 hours on social media, collectively then I have no excuse to not spend time in things that matter – like studying His Word or furthering His Kingdom.
Here are my notes on a powerful sermon given by John Piper on December 29, 2019. This is an excellent sermon to start the New Year. It is about 45 minutes long.
Colossians 3: 1-4 This verse reveals an unbelievable reality. We will not believe what is here in this verse without the Holy Spirit in your mind.
There are 5 realities in this passage:
1. Reality of God – This is the most foundational. We see this also in Col. 1:14, 2:14
2. Christ is seated at the right hand of God
– Christ is seated
– He was once dead and is now alive. Col. 2:12
– There are 3 positional things told about Christ:
1. He is above – meaning He is above all and all things are under Him
2. He is at the right hand of God – This is a place of honor and authority. He is not below or above God. He is acting as God. Col. 1:15-19; Rom. 8:34
3. He is seated – Finished Heb. 1:23
3. As a Believer in Christ my death is behind me
– My life is hidden from the world. Even from me. What I see in the mirror is not my life. Verse 3 – I have died, so the worst is behind me. verse 4 – I have been raised – Quote – “The resurrection that awaits is as sure as the one you have already experienced”
– Col.2:12 – We have passed from death unto life. I John 3:4
– Quote – “The most horrible experience is behind you. Your most glorious one awaits you. “
– My death is over. The worst is behind me. My life is hidden. My glory is hidden. The true me is hidden.
– Quote “May God grant you to see that what you can’t see is more real and precious than all that you can.”
4. Christ is going to appear. Verse 4
– Christ is here now in this world. Totally in charge. He’s reigning over the world now. He is also hiddena nd it will not always be so. Titus 2:13 – He is coming
5. My hiddenness will also be over as well. Verse 4
– We will appear with Him in glory. We are invisible right now. The true me is invisible, but will be manifested.
I must be shaped in my mind, attitude and in my longings. Have my mind shaped by these 5 realities. Not by TV, social media or other things. Let this shape how I see the world. How I feel about the world. Let it shape my perspective. Let it shape everything. How do I do this shaping? By seeking. Seek the things that are above. That’s the pathway to the mindset, to the shaping. No one gains the mindset of heaven passively. Seek, treasure, look, find. All these are not passive words. You seek it, or you don’t have it.
What an excellent sermon. I was so inspired by this reality. I just loved how my true self hasn’t been revealed yet! My true self doesn’t have the baggage of all my sins and dispositions. I am still hidden. When I look at myself in the mirror, I am really not seeing myself! I can just meditate on that for so long! What truth! What hope! The quotes included in the notes are so encouraging! Also, the part that encourages me that the worst is already behind me because the worst time in my life was when I was not saved! This is so encouraging, that no matter what pain may come, the worse is already behind. Praise the Lord. This new year, it is my hope that I seek Him with all my heart and await to meet my true myself!